Thursday, March 27, 2014

Gluten, what a bitch.

Hey all, I know I said I'd post those recipes from my last entry, and I will...soon!

Today, I am here to talk about rashes.  Yes, rashes.  For the last six years or so I have suffered from eczema on my hands that comes and goes in severity.  I wasn't so much set on finding the cause, as I was on finding relief.  I know, it sounds backwards right?  Well that's because it is.  
Then recently (in the last 2 years) my oldest daughter has developed eczema on her legs.  Like mine, it comes and goes in severity.  Once we noticed she had it, I became a lot more focused on finding the actual cause and not just temporary relief.  
To relieve the rash and the awful itching I try to keep steroids like cortisone out of the picture as much as possible.  We use coconut and olive oil, even aloe in the warmer months.  
Over the last six months, the eczema on my daughters legs has become something that I cannot ignore or simply "treat with oil".  Mine has become an issue also, it isn't getting better like it usually does.  It's one thing for me to deal with it, but it really sucks watching your child suffer.  

I started out by eliminating diary, because I know that I have a mild issue with it anyway.  After a few weeks I saw little to no improvement in my skin, and absolutely no change in my daughters.  So I did some more research.  After reading about the more "mild" affects that a gluten intolerance can cause, I strongly believe that this could likely be a gluten issue.  If cutting out gluten will give my daughter relief, I am more than happy to do it.  Especially because it will mean no medications.  

So today was our first day being gluten free.  For me this change wont be all that hard, but for my daughter it will be a bit of an adjustment.  She's a good eater, she LOVES veggies and fruit and will eat what I serve, so I'm not worried about that.  I just don't want her to feel like she's missing out on the things that her sisters or her friends at school get to snack on.  At home most of the snacks are veggies or fruit anyway, but there are crackers in the mix as well.  So I will be trying out new ideas for her school lunches and our meals at home to help her feel satisfied and like she isn't "missing out".

My goal is to take pictures and keep track of what I make..including her school lunches.  I have found many ideas through Pinterest, but there's always something in each meal that I can't stand or would do differently.  Pretty much the things like veggie kebabs..really? In a school lunch?  Or the heart shape melon cut outs with grapes sliced in half.  Honestly, I've got three kids and a husband that I make lunches for..I do not have time to cut out hearts or to slice the freakin' grapes.  I will be making real food that looks like food.  :)

Stay tuned for updates on how the diet affects us and to see what foods I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment