Thursday, November 7, 2013

Dog Poop and Broken Hearts

Puppies.  Probably the cutest, sweetest, most lovable things (besides kittens and baby sloths, who are we kidding?) around.  
Puppies.  Probably the most destructive little bastards around.  For reals.

It all started in September, I noticed our 7 year old dog was getting lazy and depressed.  So the animal lover in me was like "well duh!  we just need to get a puppy!" great idea Courtney.
Sometimes my heart and my emotions run about 20 yards ahead of my brain, okay a lot of the time.  Anyhoo..
I adopted a Jack Russel mix from some shelter event.  He was so adorable and sweet.  This is worse than a dude with beer goggles.  Brand new puppies are equipped with magical puppy smell, and magical cuteness that make you forget how destructive they can be.  This is known as puppy goggles.

Example:


Okay, so we now have a puppy that knows his name and most basic commands.  However, he seems to think that he has free reign over what is an acceptable chew toy.  Here's the current up-to-date list of what he sees as acceptable:

The laptop cord
Both heels on my new Born shoes
One of Cadence's brand new shoes
Multiple record sleeves
Roughly 6 doll hands/feet
A USB cord that was brand new
Multiple toys
One baby sandal
Wood blocks
Pens
Pencils
and that's just off the top of my head.

So Tuesday morning we woke up to a giant steaming pile of poop right in front of the front door.  I know what you're thinking..  Oh, well at least he tried to make it outside.  No.  This is not what anyone in their right mind thinks at 7am after only 5 hours of sleep (rough night with baby).  What sane persons would be thinking is, holy crap.. we have to get rid of this effing dog, and we have to get rid of it TODAY!  

So being the person that thinks all things through (*cough cough) I put up an ad for the dog.  Now, I didn't just put up the ad without TOTALLY thinking it through.. this is something Eric and I have talked about a lot over the last couple of weeks.  Mostly after finding a chewed up shoe or a pile of poop.  

Within an hour I got half a dozen calls about the dog.  I set up an appointment with a woman to come see him the next day.  

Later that evening I tell Eric about the lady coming to see the dog and right about then is when our oldest daughter blurts out (like big sisters do) to the younger one.. "We're getting rid of the dog!  He's going to live with some other family!"  Then came the water works.

After finally calming the children down, and taking a long hard look at the situation I came to the conclusion that the dog isn't all THAT bad.  (as long as I have a stock pile of dog chews)

I will take the 'puppy damage' over breaking the hearts of my children any day.
(Just to be clear, our children aren't spoiled.  It's more about learning to live with your decisions instead of giving them away)



No comments:

Post a Comment