Monday, July 7, 2014

10 ways to cool off on a hot day..because it's hot outside.

Hello!
This week I am here with another awesome writing prompt from the writer's workshop with Kat from:

Mama’s Losin’ It

"My list of ten ways to cool off on a hot day"

I picked this prompt because I KNOW how to cool off.  We don't have AC and it sucks!
Well, okay I lied, we have a portable AC in the master bedroom which we have yet to hook up..I left my motivation back in the 70- degree weather.

With kids you HAVE to figure out how to cool off.  For starters we close the blinds and turn on the fans until the sun as left the East side of the house.
After that, it's time to get creative.

We have a pool of course, it's a whopping 12" deep and about 10' in diameter.
So #1.) Get your feet into the pool.  The kids will do the rest, and you'll be soaked in about 5 minutes.

Also, we have a variety of sprinklers.  I personally am not a fan of the sprinkler because I'm always scared of the element of surprise they have...sneaky little things.
So #2.) Turn on the sprinklers, they will keep your kids cool and active for about ten minutes.

One thing I have gotten real good at is freezing things.  If it's sweet, juicy, and won't separate when thawed, you better believe I've froze it.
So #3.) Get your hands on some yogurt, juice pouches, watermelon slices, berries, or pudding and FREEZE it!  It's a hit with both children and adults.

On days that are especially warm, I head towards public AC.
So #4.) Get everyone in the car and head to Target.  You'll be cool and free of sweat stains for the whole 45 minutes you're wandering the aisles and checking out the clearance racks.  
Ahhhhhhh!

They say that cooling off your pulse points works, and you know what.. 
they're right!
So #5.) Grab some ice, a glass of cold water, your iced tea, or your Slurpee and place it on the inside of your wrists, on the inside of your bicep/forearm, and on the back of your neck.  Now that's relief!

Stay hydrated, it will help keep your body from overheating.
So #6.) As much as I hate to say it, save the sangria for later.  Keeping hydrated with cold drinks that don't contain alcohol or a lot of sugar will help you stay cool in the end.

Break out the hot pants!
No one is convinced that your not overheating when your wearing skinny jeans and a t-shirt in 90 degree weather, you're not fooling anyone.
So #7.) Get your ass into some shorts.  Nobody cares what your legs look like, they don't have to be booty shorts, just put on some damn shorts!  (skirts will do also..)
Once you've got the shorts on, get the tank top on too.  Trust me...your pits will thank you!

Stop wearing leather boots / booties in the summer, this isn't coachella.
Your feet need to breathe and as soon as you let them breathe your body will cool down too.
So #8.) It does not always have to be fashion over function.  You can be just as cute wearing some sandals or even a pair of slip on flats or toms.  Just like #7, you aren't fooling anyone, we all know you're feet are sweating like pigs in those boots.  Break out the cool shoes.

Without AC you will definitely be sleeping with the fan on and the window open while crossing your fingers that it cools down and that no giant spiders come inside..(maybe that's just me).
So #9.) Take an ice cold shower before bed.  Make it ice cold at first then once your body has cooled down, bring it to just barely room temp.  You will sleep better with a lower body temp, and your hair will be wet which will also help.

When all else fails, there's #10.) Go jump in your neighbors pool while they're at work and the pool has yet to heat up.  BOOM..that's what I call refreshing!








3 comments:

  1. I grew up without AC and used most of these tips to survive dry, hot summers. "I left my motivation back in 70 degree weather" made me laugh because I know exactly what you mean.~May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love the idea of jumping in your neighbors pool while they aren't home. I can only imagine what my neighbors would say...Stopping by from Mama Kat's, you can find me at www.simplyhaleywebb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your advice is to freeze ALL the things! Brilliant! I need to throw their snacks in the freezer asap!

    ReplyDelete